Four Incredible Directors. Four Inspiring Stories.
We’re thrilled to announce that on April 9th we’ll be putting on an exciting event in Toronto with four highly talented, critically acclaimed filmmakers. J Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed), Larysa Kondracki (The Whistleblower), Barry Jenkins (Medicine for Melancholy) and Rola Nashef (Detroit Unleaded), will each share their personal experiences of getting their debut films made and screened at TIFF. But don’t worry if you’re not in the area, because we’re going to be live-streaming the event right here on Grolsch Film Works. And what's more, we're giving you the opportunity to win tickets (see below) to the event!
Building on our partnership with TIFF's Discovery Programme – where we celebrated some of the most exciting emerging filmmakers on the planet – we’ll be inviting the four directors to speak in-depth about their filmmaking process and their unique creative journeys.
The Toronto-born Kondracki made her feature directorial debut with The Whistleblower (2010), a gripping drama starring Rachel Weisz and Monica Bellucci.
Named as one of Variety's 10 directors to watch in 2010, J Blakeson is best known for directing the Gemma Arterton thriller The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009).
Barry Jenkins is an award-winning filmmaker based in Oakland, California. His feature film debut, Medicine for Melancholy, was hailed as one of the best films of 2009 by A.O. Scott of The New York Times.
Nashef’s debut feature is Detroit Unleaded, a brilliant romantic comedy which she wrote, directed and produced, won our very own Grolsch Film Works Discovery Award. Need we say any more?
MORE INFO ABOUT THE EVENT
- The event will take place on April 9th.
- The event will be live-streamed on grolschfilmworks.com at 7.30pm, EDT, 9th April. Keep your eyes peeled!
- We will be announcing our competition to win tickets to the event in the next few days, so again, stay tuned.
- TIFF Festival Programmer Jane Schoettle will introduce each of the directors, show clips from their films, encourage discussion between the filmmakers, and invite the audience to ask questions.
- Photos from the event will be posted on grolschfilmworks.com the next day.